[Skip to Content]

1. Why are my taxes so high?

Taxes are based on a millage rate set by the individual taxing bodies (school districts, municipalities, county) according to the funds needed to support their budgets. This millage rate is multiplied times the assessed value of your property. Your assessment seldom changes and you are notified in writing before any changes take effect.

 2. What is my control number and where do I find it?

The control number is a unique tax identification number for your property. The control number allows for a more accurate identification of your property rather than a parcel identification number that shows the property on a map. Control numbers are found on your tax bill. The number is required by Tax Claim Bureau and Treasurer’s office to identify your property. If you can’t find the number, just call the Assessment Office.

3. What is Homestead Exclusion?

Homestead provides a tax reduction on the school taxes on property accepted into the Homestead program. To qualify, the property must be the owner-occupied home of the applicant. Homestead does not apply to rental property or second homes. The amount is based upon the gambling revenues received from the Commonwealth and determined by the school district in which you live. The exclusion is a reduction in your school taxes, not a rebate.

4. What is Clean and Green?

The Clean and Green program is a preferred assessed value on the land only based upon the soil use or potential for use. One must own 10 or more acres to qualify except when extraordinary conditions exist. For complete information and application, contact the Assessment Office.

5. Is there an application fee for Homestead or Clean & Green?

There is no application fee to apply for the Homestead/Farmstead Exclusion. The new Clean & Green application fee is $68.50 ($50.00 application fee and $18.50 recording fee).

6. How do I challenge the assessed value of my property?

The assessed value may be appealed by filing a Notice of Intent to Appeal with the office by August 1st to have consideration for the next tax year. In the case where the assessment changes during the year, the property owner is sent a Notice of Change letter and the property owner may appeal this change within 40 days of the mailing of the letter. This is explained in the body of the letter.

7. How do I access this information?

The Assessment Office has a room of computers for use by the public to make inquiries into property. The tax maps are also available for review. Photocopies are available upon request and may have a small fee attached. You can also go to courthouse online and subscribe.

8. Am I required to allow field data collectors onto my property?

The Assessment Office has no legal basis to trespass on your property for no apparent reason; however, during a county wide reassessment or review it may be necessary for the office to come onto the property to take measurements and photographs of the structures. Although you do not have to allow an assessor on your property, it is recommended to do so to make sure the information is correct and a fair assessment can be made, otherwise the office must use pictures from roadway angles and/or aerial photos. Understand, when you file an assessment appeal you are asking the assessment office to come to your property and review property in total. This may result in discovery of new structures, additions and/or updates.

9. How can I change my address?

Address changes must be made in writing with the property owner’s signature. Include the tax parcel number (found on your tax notice), your old address and the new address. A change of address form is located in the forms section of this website.

*If you have questions or concerns, please contact us at (570) 278-4600, Ext. 4001.