[Skip to Content]

General FAQ

General FAQ

What records are available to the public?

Most records are available to the public. Adoptions are sealed and can only be opened by court order. Military discharges are not open to the public but are available to the veteran for his/her own use. Copies are available of records in our office. You may either request them in person or through the mail. Contact our office for fees.

How to obtain a certified copy of a marriage license:

The fee for a certified copy is $5.00. We will need to know the names of the parties on the license and the date of the marriage. You can obtain a copy in person or through the mail.

What do I need when I come to your office to open an estate?

  • Original will – if the decedent had one.
  • Death Certificate
  • Person who can qualify as Executor(s) or Administrator(s).
  • Approximate value of the decedent’s estate. This is the value as of the date of death of the decedent’s real estate and personal property.
  • Cash or check for the probate fees. This fee is based on the value of the estate. You may contact our office for an estimate prior to coming in to probate.

What do you need to bring to apply for a marriage license?

  • Both parties must appear in person.
  • You both need a VALID photo id.
  • We need to know your social security number.
  • The fee is $40.00 and it must be in cash – no checks or credit cards are accepted.
  • If you are under 18 you must have your custodial parent sign a sent. Under the age of 16 requires a court order and the consent of a custodial parent.
  • If either of you were married before we need a copy of the divorce decree or death certificate for the last marriage.
  • There is a 3 day waiting period before the license is valid and then it is valid for 60 days. The license MUST be used within the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.

Can I record a document by mail?

Yes, you can record a document by mail. We do not accept mailed probate petitions or petitions in Orphans’ Court. When recording by mail it is a good idea to contact us to make sure your document meets all of our requirements. Please see our fee schedule for further details.

How long does it take for my document to be returned?

Your document will usually be returned in approximately 10 days. At the time of recording we require a self-addressed stamped envelope for the document to be returned in.

How far back do our records go?

We have birth and death records from 1893 to 1905. After 1905 these records are available through the Department of Vital Records in New Castle, Pennsylvania. You can obtain information and forms to apply for them on the Pennsylvania web site.

Our deed and mortgage index goes from 1810 to the present. From 2004 on all of our records are on the Landex computer system. The documents are scanned in daily and are no longer copied into books. We are in the process of backscanning our deed and mortgage books. Our index back to 1974 has already been converted into the Landex system.

Our marriage licenses are available from 1885 to the present. We only have licenses that were issued by our county. Copies can be obtained at a cost of $5.00 each. We need the date of marriage and the parties names.